January 14, 2012

So you've decided to sleep over...

There are a lot of unspoken trials and tribulations that a woman goes through the first time she decides to sleep at a man's house. It's not as simple as grabbing an overnight bag with cute jim jams, whipped cream and handcuffs. Oh no, a sleep over is a decision you need to sit down with your girlfriends in Nando's and discuss if you are ready for that next step in your relationship. There are a few things one has to consider and decide if they are ready to take that step.

1. The head scarf


A lot of black men have been brought up in households where their mums, sisters or aunts walk around in a head scarf on a daily basis so they are pretty much used to seeing a woman in a headscarf. You'd think that this would make it easier, oh no. You have to think about how you're going to wrap your hair; are you going to do it in an attractive and fashionable way but still make sure that all the hair is covered or do you just wear it the same way you would when you are at home. If you decide on not wearing a head scarf you have to make sure your gentleman friend has silk pillow cases because there's nothing worse than cotton when you've just had your hair did. For someone like me who has short hair, if I sleep without a head scarf I wake up with my hair looking like Jedward and it will not go down unless I wrap it.

2. No make up look


If you've been seeing a guy and he's constantly seen you with make up on, it creates a picture. My skin ain't that flawless, my eye lashes are not that long and my weave does not blend that well without straighteners! Hell, I got a few spots here and there that MAC has covered up for me. Basically, I do not look like how I looked at 3pm when you met me; mix that up with the headscarf then oh boy!
You don't want him to go to sleep with Pamela Anderson and wake up next to something on the left, I'm not even sure who that is to be honest. I don't know if there's much difference in how I look with make up and when I'm bare faced so if I have stay at a guy's house for the first time that moment when you're about to go to bed is a thinker. Do you take the make up off or just scare him in the morning when your face is on his pillow case and your hair is looking like Goku from Dragonball Z?

3. Morning breath

Is there anything on this earth that smells worse than morning breath? So before agreeing to spend the night you go through a few things and one of them is contemplating whether you let him smell your morning breath or wake up early, brush your teeth and jump back into bed or perhaps keep a tic tac underneath your pillow so that you can pop it into your mouth before he wakes up. I usually choose him smelling my morning breath because I do not sacrifice my sleep for anyone and besides morning breath is natural, hell if he's gonna breathe that in my face why can't I breathe in his?

4. Snoring

What if you snore? Ever thought about that? You usually sleep alone, how do you know if you snore or not? I tend to sleep talk the first time I sleep in a foreign bed. Whether its my friend, aunt, hotel, man; I will sleep talk if its the first time. Guaranteed. So, here we are. In his bed; the first time we're spending the night together and I start saying random shit. He's gonna think I'm crazy or have some kind of demon that comes alive at night. This only happens on the first night by the way and I do always give a disclaimer.

I had to say something regarding this matter because sleeping over for the first time is one of the least spoken about dilemmas that we go through but the good thing about it is that once you have slept over, there's nothing left to worry about. You'll be putting your mask on, greasing your head and taking out your weave while he watches football on a Sunday afternoon.

2 comments: