June 18, 2012

No, really. He's A Baby!


I love him just like I raised him
When he call me Mama
Lil Mama I call him Baby - Nicki Minaj, Moment for life

I have always been fascinated by cougar relationships. I sit there asking questions about what it’s like to do it with a younger man, kind of like the questions you ask when you hear that your friend did it with a white guy: “What does it look like? Is it really pink?”

I have plenty of friends who date younger men, from a year to seven years and the thought is like a foreign subject to me, I just don’t get it. The funniest thing about my ignorance, yes I am aware that I’m ignorant when it comes to this subject, is that so many relationships that my friends are in are with younger men and they are fine. They never complain about the age gap and it never seems like an issue. I think the problem with me is that at the tender age of 25 the younger guys I will be meeting are 24 and below which is in my opinion young. If I was say, 30 and dated someone who is 25-27 that will be different because by that time they would have matured a bit more, played the field and MAYBE be on the same level as I will. I can imagine dating someone who’s say two years younger than me and telling them some kind of predicament I would be in just to make conversation because to be honest I do not trust the advice of a 23 year old even though when I was 23 I thought I was pretty smart. Any little thing I can see myself saying “oh what do you know, you’re only a child.”

A while ago, one of my friends set me up with her “friend” the quotes are necessary because she thought he was 26 when he was really 20! They are not real friends! So we start talking, we vibing, you know that whole thing. He asks for my bbm pin, I give it to him, he’s calling, he’s texting, he’s falling, lemme explain. So one day I was telling one of my girlfriends about him and she asked me how old he was and I drew a blank. I had no idea so I quickly picked up my phone and sent him a bbm and boy, did he avoid the question until he said 20. Eh? How old now? Dude wasn’t even 21! He couldn’t even drink in America! I decided not to let that throw me because we were getting on quite well and didn't act like a 20 year old despite numerous insults from my friends asking me if he was going to take me out with his EMA money, if he had curfew or all the other insults I suffered.

He finally asked me out to dinner and not only was it my first date with someone four years my junior; it was also my first ever blind date. This was going to be interesting. We met up at an underground station and headed to a restaurant nearby. He ordered pineapple juice, I ordered orange juice. We ordered our food, ate my steak and tried as hard as I could to forget his age. After a while he finished his drink and naturally I expected him to beckon the waitress for another drink but this young brother went in to his “man bag,” pulled out an orange Tropicana and poured it into his glass ever so nonchalantly *bbm shocked face* and to make matters worse he made me pay half!

My friend was right; we should have gone to Pizza Hut!

No comments:

Post a Comment